Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Knife

If you haven't been following the blog you may not realize, but the last few have been leaning more towards music than research.

I played guitar in the residence for the first time since being here, and sure felt good.

I even wrote most of a new song. It's working title is 'The Knife'.

Lyrics:

I've got a message to deliver
Before my time has come and gone
Could this reify you?
Could this reify you?

Your words are just a few,
and actions even fewer
How would they define you?
How would they define you?
-------

If I could leave a mark
something set in stone
can you bring me a knife?
for the bones...

-------
Your fears are all against you
but persevere some more
do they petrify you?
do they petrify you?

you want to make a difference
but you're up against the world
Will they nullify you?
will they nullify you?
--------

If I could leave a mark
something set in stone
can you bring me a knife?
for the bones...

--------
your body's aging fast
haunted by an unrewarding past
why would they deny you?
why would they deny you?

when you have been forgotten
and no one knows your name
who would recognize you?
who would recognize you?

When you are under ground
no record of the sounds you made
Would they identify you?
would they identify you?

They will identify you
They will identify you
They have identified you...

by your bones



It's all about perceptions by others. Everything that you do in life, who is it being done for, and will anyone recognize or acknowledge that fact? When it's all said and done, once you've been buried for 50 years, what will anyone be able to identify you by other than your remains; your bones.

What I'm getting at is that we should all make efforts to make a lasting impression of ourselves on the world in our lifetimes. Some impressions will not be as readily acknowledged as others, but it's important to always stand in the face of adversity, for what you believe to be just. [Sigh, sometimes I wish I was Polar Man, or at least an Aquabat]

My contribution? It's hard to say what I would like it to be.

"I'd like to put out an awesome double disc CD/DVD"

...yes...but how is that helping anyone else? You're right. It's not. It's satisfying my own lust for musical creativity and expression. HOWEVER. The conceptualization behind the project is multi-faceted, and in the next few months, you will no doubt read more about that concept. But I'd also like to incorporate something that will empower listeners as well. Ideas: TBA.

However, it's really cool that many different organizations are helping make strides towards change, such as Google.

No comments: